Sunday, February 7, 2010

Pottery and Players: ArtsFest Day 3



It's only the third day of ArtsFest but I already I feel as if I've been on the road for weeks! So much to do and so little time!

My first adventure took me into the heart of Orlando to the City of Orlando's Pottery Studio where I was hoping to catch a couple of minutes of the Kid's Pottery Workshop on camera.

Little did I know that I would have a far more hands-on experience than I had bargained for.

Once I finally located the building- and trust me, its discovery was no easy feat; I spent a good fifteen minutes driving circles around the Amway Arena before I even caught sight of the studio- I hurried inside, Flip camera ready, hoping to talk to the artists running the place and maybe even some of the participants of that day's activities.

I introduced myself to Kim, the manager of the City of Orlando's Pottery Studio, and she was happy to give me a brief history about the studio and some of the classes it offers. Having been in business for nearly 40 years, the Studio offers classes specifically tailored to all age groups from local students to senior citizens.

However, it's no secret that most of the Studio's business stems from young, budding children artists. In fact, one of the most popular events in the Studio is the Kid's Summer Clay Camp, a four-week long program that offers kids a chance to invent everything from pinch-pot animals to vases.

The number one mission of City of Orlando's Pottery Studio ArtsFest event, "Kids Pottery Workshop", is to encourage kids' creativity.

"We don't allow parents back into the studio with the kids," Kim explained to the hovering parents today. "We want the kids to be able to express themselves, and the parents will end up doing the whole project for them."

This was the point at which she turned to me and asked if I wanted to join the class. Join the class? As in, playing with clay for half an hour? Is that a serious question?

One set of paintbrushes and a block of clay later, I was building a masterpiece. I'm not sure who was having more fun, me or the ten-year-olds at my table, but one thing was for certain; this class rocked!

Far too soon the clay had been molded and painted and turned in for firing in the kiln. My new-found friends and I will be returning on the 27th to pick up our clay dishes, and personally I plan on making mine the center of attraction in my future, overpriced Orlando apartment!




Later that evening, I was on my way to attend one of the most anticipated events on my hectic schedule: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead at Mad Cow Theatre in Downtown Orlando.

Wait, they're dead? Do they start off dead in the beginning of the play? Well that certainly doesn't make much of a story if the heroes of the play are already pushing up daisies... maybe they die later in the play? Or maybe they're dead, and we're just watching them at some different level of existence... Are they ghosts?

Confused? I was too.

The entire first act of the play is dominated by the Shakespearean heroes Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as they flip coins, ponder the validity of "chance" in the universe, and try to remember which name belongs to who. To be honest, it's slightly reminiscent of the age-old "Who's on first, what's on second" sketch.

So what's the RGAD play about? It's Hamlet, but with a twist. The epic tale is told from the perspective of Hamlet's quirky, amnesiac friends Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as they first try to get to the bottom of Hamlet's ailment, then try to remember why they're on the mission at all.

The play is, admittedly, a little difficult to follow. Rosen and Guild even confess in the third act that 'their existence is just one incident after another, rather than a series of actions'... at which point pirates attack their England-bound ship. Just another example of how quirky and unpredictable this play really is; even if you know the story of Hamlet, RGAD will keep you guessing!

The befuddled antics of Timothy Williams (Guildenstern) and Michael Marinaccio (Rosencrantz) are what drive the plot, along with the vagabond tragedians and their ceaseless string of innuendos. The tragic character Hamlet only makes an appearance on the stage 5 times at most throughout the entire 3-hour performance!

In surmise, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead definitely isn't your run-of-the-mill performance, but if you're looking for an eccentric comedy or a new spin on an old classic, look no further than RGAD! It'll be onstage until Feb. 28th, and I highly recommend you check it out!

... Now, which one is Rosencrantz again?

Be sure to stay tuned to Mad Cow Theatre online for more amazing theatre!

Today was definitely an interesting day; from pottery to players, the third day of ArtsFest 2010 was a success in my book! Be on the lookout for video footage from today and the other events on the ArtsFest youtube account.

Have a happy ArtsFest!

1 comment:

Mad Cow Theatre said...

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead is playing at Mad Cow Theatre. Check out our website for more info, photos, showtimes and information the rest of our season.