Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ballet on Magnolia Ave: ArtsFest Day 2



It was a madhouse at the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center at 6:59 p.m. as people lined up in the hopes of grabbing tickets to see the Orlando Russian Ballet perform Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The only reason I was able to get in at all was because Cory came to my rescue and managed to pull me past the crowd and through the double doors.

Every single one of the 681 seats in the theatre was filled, which left over a hundred downtrodden people walking back to their cars without tickets. They didn't go home empty handed, though; each of the guests that could not be given a seat for the night's performance was instead gifted with a pass to attend a future show at the theatre.

As I got comfortable on a stairwell stage-left, I began to get excited. The last time I attended a ballet I was young and fell asleep through the entire second half. This time I was ready to be dazzled by the young dancers in tights!

But apparently graceful dance and Miranda Williams just do not mix.

Cory Warren, the head hauncho in the ArtsFest goings-on, invited me onstage to model my Orlando Magic's jersey and, true to my nature, I of course tripped and stumbled down the steps while exiting the stage.

Fortunately, my own clumsiness was in stark contrast to the the beauty and grace of the Russian Ballet. Under the direction of world renowned choreographer Vadim Fedotov, the show was outstanding, breathtaking and, in some parts, just plain adorable.

The next event performed by the Russian Ballet of Orlando will be the International Ballet Gala. Principal dancers will be flying in from Russia, Ukraine, Spain, Czech Republic, and from all around of United States Ballet Companies to celebrate the Russian Ballet of Orlando's ten year anniversary.

I urge anyone interested in dance to check out http://www.russianballetoforlando.org/ for details on upcoming performances, and, as always, have a happy ArtsFest!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miranda - We loved your article on the paper mushrooms! Great writing. Keep up the good work. Love ya, Gram and Papa

Anonymous said...

Love this article and film footage!